Winona Ryder Was A 90s Style Queen Way Before ‘Stranger Things’
After disappearing from mainstream culture for more than a decade, Winona Ryder is back, and better than ever.
In the sci-fi mystery series,Â Stranger Things,Â the early 80s-inspired Netflix hit that everyone is talking about, the queen of 90s cool plays a worried mother to Will Byers (Noah Schnapp). WillÂ goes missing, and itâ€™s up to her, along with her older son and the townÂ sheriff, to decode what happened.
Winona isÂ a human proxy for the 1980s and 90s â€” the actress was a fashionÂ queen way before her stylish Stranger Things comeback.Â Below,Â we celebrate her best 90s looks.
1. Winona at a movie premiere in 1992.
This is a very rare Winona look because it’s sexy, but it’s still chill.
2.Â Winona at the Academy Awards, March 1994.
There is so much frost going on in this photo.
3.Â Winona at the airport in 1990.
Brb while I search Etsy for a funÂ dinosaur suitcase.
4.Â Winona at a movie premiere in 1998.
She’s like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, but not boring.
5. Winona at the Oscars in 1997.
She’s like my fairy goth-mother.
6. Winona with Johnny Depp in 1990.
White stockings? Way to make modesty cool.
7. Winona at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.
She’s wearing a tiara. What a god damn diva. YAS!!!
8. Winona with Dave Pirner in 1993.
SheÂ looks like the rebellious girl from high school whoÂ ditched class thatÂ my older brother hadÂ a crush on, but wtf is up with Dave’s dreadlocks?!?
9. Winona at the American Film Institute Gala in 1996.
She looks like a chic AF Pepto Bismol bottle (complement).
10. Winona at a U2 concert in 1997.
1. Why did U2 have a red carpet for their concert? 2. I want theseÂ red platform sandals.
This article was written in collaboration with Lisa Yoo.Â