Celebrity Hairstylist Jen Atkin Gives Her Top Tips for Bombshell Hair
Jen Atkin has styled the hair of the some of the most famous women celebs, including Mrs Kardashian-West. Check out her interview with us below!
What inspired you to want to start taming women’s tresses?
I love being able to change a persons life by simply making them feel gorgeous. I fell in love with a Natalie Imbruglia haircut from the “Torn” video in high school and started cutting my own hair with a shaving razor, then that snowballed into me cutting my friends hair.
Who are some strong female role models who have inspired you?
Odile Gilbert, Sally Hershberger, my Grandmother, Sade, and a lot of my clients.
The word bitch can be empowering yet demeaning what is your take on it?
Exactly as you said, it can be both so when in doubt I like to keep it classy.
What motto do you live by?
We all have the same hours in the day as Beyonce.
6 tips for bombshell hair:
• Start with a healthy scalp and work the nourishment to the ends. CLEAR Scalp and hair therapy is perfect for resilient hair.
• Take a break from hot tools. Over styling with blowdryers and irons damages.
• Just like our skin needs a good SPF, use UV protecting hair products; Sacha Juan Hair in the Sun is my go to.
• Always prep the hair with a primer to act as a foundation for the rest of your styling. This builds texture and body which will make your hairstyle last longer.
• Skip a day (or two) of shampooing and replace with a dry shampoo. This will take advantage of your natural oils while giving your hair a fuller more lived in feel.
• There’s a reason the women in the middle east have such great hair and it’s because they deep condition every single week. Huile de Leonor by Leonor Greyl’s is perfect for this as you can use it on your ends.
What product do you live by for hair?
Oribe dry texturizing spray, I can’t live without it, my clients can’t live without it.
What is your opinion on colored hair on girl hate it or love it?
-Whatever suits your personality, go for it. As long as you didn’t just break up with someone and are hormonal!
You have done hair for Kim Kardashian and Sofia Vergara, some of the biggest bombshells in the world. Is their anyone else you love to work with?
– SADE or NATALIE IMBRUGLIA. Thats IT.
What 4 things make a woman powerful?
• This may sound vain but first and foremost going with her hair! It’s the only part of the body that can be manipulated daily to change an entire look, now that’s powerful!
• I know we hear this over and over but confidence is the ultimate. When you’re confident in yourself you project a level of sexiness and beauty that can’t be bought.
• A calm mind that easily lets go of comparison because being yourself is what makes you wonderful.
• A great pair (or closet) of heels.
What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago knowing what you know now?
Enjoy every moment because it all goes too fast. Don’t hang out with bartenders.
What is the next chapter for you?
Lots of exciting things on the horizon! I’m always thinking of solutions for my clients’ hair problems, and easy ways to make women able to do their own glam hair. STAY TUNED to my instagram @jenatkinhair for announcements!