Top 6 Tips To Staying Healthy By Samantha Glo
With Valentines Day just around the corner I am happy to share with you my go to tips to get and stay svelte and sexy.
1. I always start my day off the right way by flushing my body with a tall glass of cold lemon water. Water is naturally more energizing than caffeine for your body! This citrus is an antiseptic that will tame any inflammation, flushes out toxins, clears your skin in a jif, gives you beautiful shiny hair and naturally balances your PH levels. Perf!
2. I try to take 10 minutes in my morning routine to blast some of my favorite songs and dance around to get my blood flowing. Once my muscles are warmed up I do 3 stretches that do wonders throughout the day left sidebend, right sidebend, and the “ragdoll”.
For the left and right sidebend stretch your arms straight above your head aligning your shoulders and bend at the waist. Use your core to move to each side and hold for 30 seconds. This will narrow your waist in no time.
The ragdoll is a cheeky term for touching your toes, the twist in this move is removing any tension. Bend forward however far is comfortable and let your body literally hang. This will gently pull out all of the kinks and prepare you for your day!
3. The “plank” exercise is one of the most effective in home whole body movements. You work your biceps, triceps, upper and lower abdominal muscles, thighs, and booty. On your exercise mat lie tummy facing down with your forearms flat and parallel to your shoulders. Prop yourself up on your forearms and toes keeping body parallel to the mat. Make sure to keep your back flat. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat.
4. The “hundred” is hands down one of the best exercises to keep that tummy tight! Lie flat on your back and elevate your legs six to twelve inches above the floor. For more of a challenge strive for your legs to be closer to the floor. Pulling your tummy in tight pull your head, neck, and shoulders up and in. Moving your arms up and down side to side count to 30. Repeat. As you get stronger with the exercise you can count straight through to 60.
5. It is said that a body is made in the kitchen and not in the gym. Here are my favorite protein rich foods to create the body you desire and love. Protein is made up of amino acids which are what our body uses to create muscle. Black beans are an awesome source of protein; 4oz of black beans have 25 grams of protein (with no icky protein shake taste!). I throw black beans in a salad, over rice for a complete protein, or in soup. Make your salads nutrient and protein rich by making a bed of baby spinach. Per serving, spinach offers 13 grams of protein. Peas offer 16 grams of protein per serving and are perfect popped in just about anything from salad, soup, to pasta.
6. The gym is not the most glamorous place for us but some gym essentials make it easier. I always keep moist facials wipes with me. They do not strip your skin but- keeps it fresh and clean. I love using a mineral water mist to keep my skin hydrated pre and post workout. Mineral water mists also promote circulation in your face for healthy glowing skin. Protect your skin during outdoor workouts by applying an SPF moisturizer before you do anything outdoors!