Selfie VS Twerking: We Weigh In On The Battle For Most Popular Word This Year!
By now everyone has heard the news. Selfie is officially a dictionary defined word! Following close behind is the nightclub approved “twerk”. I am not entirely sure how Oxford goes about making the decision for “Word of the Year” (is it a two party system or is there one bigwig in charge of giving out the prize?), but we thought it would be appropriate to make a little contest of our own. Which word is truly the most culturally relevant today? Selfie or Twerk? The eternal question shall be answered based on six important categories: Celebrity approval, nightlife usage, fashionable usage, musicality and of course, supermodel approval! So, may the odds be ever in your favor Oxford, here is our final word… or words on the matter.
1. Celebrity Approval: Well, we have certainly seen celebrities hard at work doing both, but the question is, which is the biggest celebrity favorite? Well Miley Cyrus is famous for doing both, as is Nikki Minaj. But we think that selfies are the victor here, mostly because of the outer space selfie taken by astronaut, Aki Hoshide. Space is after all, the final frontier…
2. Nightclub Usage: The first time “selfie” was used in a sentence was to describe a drunken picture in Australia. And, of course, twerking gained popularity in the nightclub scene. So therefore this is going to make for a complex comparison. Both selfies and twerking at a nightclub usually lead to the sort of embarrassment that cannot be slept away, however twerking wins this round mostly due to this video…
3. Musicality: There are selfies taken by musicians and then there are musicians who twerk. And then there are musicians who do both. However twerking and music are almost indivisibility intertwined so the award for musicality officially goes to twerking!
4. Fashion: Leave it to celebs like Iggy Azalea and Miley to twerk while wearing couture! But then, who doesn’t get excited when they see celebrities and models alike post mirror selfies on their Instagrams??? It’s like getting invited to a celebrities house to help them get dressed for an event. So therefore, selfies will have to win this round.
5. Models: This is as tough one. As I have said, model selfies are some of my favorites. But on the other hand, the video of Karlie Kloss and Joan Smalls twerking along with Rita Ora and Iggy Azalea at DKNY Fashion Week has got to be the best thing I have ever seen. So Twerking? You win by a nose here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCtfaJi_TNQ
It seems we have reached an impasse here, which is just as well, seeing as the battle has already been won based on the word of the Oxford English dictionary. Only time will tell what word is next to be added to our clearly creative English language.