Get Renee Olstead’s Rita Hayworth Inspired Makeup Look
Renee Olstead may play a terrorized high school student in the MTV horror flick “Unfriended,” but her real life look couldn’t be more different than the suburban girl next door she embodies in the film. In real life, Olstead is a girly girl who sees makeup as one of the best ways to express herself. Olstead loves the style of classic 50s and 60s icons, like Rita Hayworth and Lili St. Cyr. “I challenge you to find a woman who can’t rock a cat eye and a wiggle dress like those ladies,” she said. With Olstead’s tips, you can get the flattering, ultra feminine makeup of these beauty icons.
1. Perfect bouncy curls: I owe it all to my hair God, Tony Medina! He knows just how to give me that perfectly tousled curl. Don’t be afraid to brush out your curls. I know those curls look good just as they are, but good hair is like a bouquet. It always looks best when properly arranged.
2. Over-exaggerated cat eye: I always make sure to start small and refined, and then grow the structure to the shape you want. My biggest advice is to just not go too far. We all know what it’s like when the liner just keeps getting bigger and bigger! Sometimes you end up having to grab the makeup wipe and start over. I usually wear a grayish pink or nude lipstick when I’m wearing exaggerated eyeliner. It’s all about balance.
4. Subtle lips: I’ve become a really big fan of Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks lately (“Veronica” and “American Doll” are currently tied for my favorite shade). Gerard Cosmetics “Underground” Lipstick is always in my purse too! I love matte glosses too. I just don’t like anything too sticky and neither does my husband! I usually line my lips with MAC “Subculture” or NYX lip liner in “Natural.”
5. Highlight your cheeks: Gerard Cosmetics Star Powder in “Lucy” always gives my cheeks more color and a bit of highlight.
6. But remember: At the end of the day, I always ask myself, “Does this make me feel good?” and, “Do I look like me?” If it looks the way you want it to and makes you feel like you’re in a music video for your favorite song, then wear it out!
Photos By Tatiana Gerusova