New Year, New Abs: The Galore Guide To 6 Pack Abs
Model Michele Maturo gives her expert tips to help us with our everyday problems, in this case how do we get those new abs for the new year?
One thing (most) all of us have in common is the desire to have a flat and/or toned stomach. It doesn’t matter how tall or petite you might be, achieving that goal is completely obtainable and will be easy to conquer in the new year when using these simple yet effective tips!
Let’s be realistic, it won’t matter how much effort you put into exercise if you don’t have a balanced diet! Holidays are over so put down the chocolate pretzels and the caramel popcorn- it’s time to get disciplined.
1. Avoid simple carbohydrates and processed sugars and fried foods in the beginning until you are at the point of only maintaining. All will bloat you within hours!
2. Try your absolute best to keep your natural sugar and fruit consumption to breakfast and not consume any after 2pm. This way your body is able to digest and burn those sugars throughout the day.
3. Liquids seem harmless, but the calories and sugars add up. Water is your new best friend! If you are really trying to trim down fast avoid alcohol altogether. BUT if you MUST, try and stick to clear, no browns, no beer! (Gin and Tonic / Vodka and water are my favorite options)
4. Make sure to keep a balanced amount of fiber in your diet which aids in the digesting process, in weight control, lowers blood sugar levels, and may even prevent colon cancer. Some great foods to include in your diet are raspberries, beans, quinoa, spinach, flax seed (add to smoothies)
5. Do your best not to eat at least 4 hours before bed, allow your digestive system to burn your dinner!
Until you’re completely satisfied with your health and physique, I recommend that you work out at least 3-4 times a week, until you’re able to just maintain. I’ve compiled a short list of my favorite workouts that I myself do and have changed my body. Please keep in mind that what works for me may not work for you!
1. Seated Rotations holding 10b weight: Sitting up, bend knees and legs together and place arms across the chest or in front of you. Tuck the tailbone and roll back slightly as you alternate rotating the spine right and left. 20x each side. Repeat set x3
2. Side Plank holding 10lb weight on hip:
A. Lie on your left side with your elbow directly beneath your shoulder and legs stacked. Place your right hand on your left shoulder or on your right hip holding the weight.
B. Brace your abs and lift your hips off the floor until you’re balancing on your forearm and feet so that your body forms a diagonal line. Lift your hips and lower back down. Repeat 20x. Switch sides and repeat set x3.
3. Leg Raise: Lie on the floor and hold onto a bench or heavy weight for support. Keep your legs as straight as possible and raise them up until they’re vertical. Lower back down, but stop just short of the floor to keep tension on your abs before the next rep. Repeat 20 x. Repeat set x3
4. Weighted toe touch: Lie on your back on the floor holding the 10b weight with both hands. Extend your legs to the ceiling. Raise your abs and reach for your toes with the weight. Repeat x20. Repeat set x3
5. Mountain Climbers: Get into pushup position on the floor. Drive one knee up to your chest and then quickly drive it back while you raise the opposite knee.
6. Side Bend: Stand hip width distance apart. Hold 12.5lbs in left hand. Bend to the side while reaching for the outside of your left knee. Come back up. Repeat each side x20. Repeat set x3