Let’s Be Honest: Michele Maturo’s Post Coachella Skin Savers
Whether you’re feeling those post Coachella blues and run down from all the booze or you’re just ready to wear less makeup and in need of some serious skin rejuvenation – I’m here to help! My skin has it’s ups and downs between working out, allergies, city living…and well, life. One thing I understand though is the importance of maintaining our skins health.
Here are a couple tips that I personally use when my face is in need of some serious TLC.
1. I may not be a doctor, but one of the best things you can do for your skin, body, and metabolsim, is to drink PLENTY OF WATER. If you normally drink 8 cups a day, boost it to 10 if you drank the night before. Water helps flush the toxins out of our bodies and hydrates us from the inside out.
2. Avoid Soda! Not only is soda bad for our health, it’s horrible for our skin. Too much sugar may cause acne. Drink a flavored Perrier if you really crave the bubbles.
3. Twice a week I’ve been using the Kiehls Rare Earth Deep Poor Cleansing Masque – it helps to minimize my pores while also pulling the toxins out of my skin.
4. I’m actually a really big fan of the whole Kiehl’s line. Not only is it affordable, but I have combination/sensitive skin and it seems to work the best for me right now. I use the Ultra Facial Cleanser and the Ultra Facial Moisterizer.
5. The next thing I include in my routine is toner. I feel like I’ve tried everything there is, even ProActive. Everything I would use dried out my face! A friend of mine recommended the Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera Formula Toner, Rose Petal. Not only is it INSANELY cheap, it is: alcohol-free, paraben-free, propylene glycol-free, un-distilled witch hazel, moisturizes, and cleanses. It’s made in the USA and isn’t tested on animals.6. Another best kept secret is using vitamin C serum! Vitamin C is critical for our bodies and plays a vital role in maintaining healthy and resilient skin. One of the most beneficial functions of vitamin C is its role in the production of collagen, a protein that gives your skin its elasticity and keeps it TIGHT.
Because of that, vitamin C helps reduce and prevent wrinkles and fine lines, reduce age spots and also help with sun damage. Apply it after you cleanse your face and use a toner. My skin drinks it up and I saw results in as little as three weeks.
7. The skin around our eyes is so thin and delicate and is particularly prone to wrinkles and dryness so be preventative and don’t forget to use eye cream twice a day (morning & night).
8. It’s easy to fall asleep with makeup on, but it’s a DIRTY little habit! Even if you had a long day or a long night partying TRY to remember to take it off. If you’re feeling a little lazy the best trick is to cleanse with an unscented sensitive baby wipe. It surprisingly removes eye makeup really well too!
9. The last thing we all want to do after a heavy night of drinking is to workout, but the fastest most effective way to feel better is to SWEAT IT OUT. Your pores open up when you sweat and that releases the buildup inside them, which in return, helps your pores. Don’t use a sauna because only mild to moderate sweat is said to be the most beneficial for our skin.
10. DO NOT pick your zits! I won’t lie to you, I am THE worst about it, but I find my skin heals the best when I avoid trying to hurry the process. When I have a huge embarrassingly massive zit and have a shoot the next day, I apply Mario Badescu Drying Lotion to zap the problem.
11. Last, but certainly not least, exfoliate two/three times a week to remove the dead skin and make room for the new.
These tips and products have worked for me though. Please keep in mind that what may work for me may not be as beneficial for you! These aren’t paid, promotional products either, just a couple of things I’ve picked up along the way.
Because it’s time we stop hiding behind our makeup and hair and put our best face forward.