The Perfect On-The-Go Festival Snack: Cherry & Chocolate Granola Bars
Who might be the coolest food blogger ever, Justine Delaney, has the perfect on-the-go snack for you. She happens to run the most colorful and entertaining food blog, In The Kitchen At Parties, and DJ too. Her jack of all trades career formed organically, much like her healthy concoctions. Whether you’re pre-planning your Coachella snacks or finding the perfect breakfast for your busy boss bitch lifestyle, this cherry and chocolate granola bar recipe is a guaranteed healthy sweet treat! Check out Justine D’s recipe, below.
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cherries
Maldon sea salt for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter an 8 x 12 inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
3. Butter the parchment paper as well.
4. Toss the oatmeal, walnuts, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
5. Put the mixture in a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
7. Put the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and kosher salt in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
8. Cook and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture.
9. Add the cherries and apricots. Add the chocolate chips once the mixture has cooled a little bit (this is to prevent melting).
10. Stir well.
11. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
12. With wet hands lightly press the mixture evenly into the dish.
13. To your liking, sprinkle Maldon salt on top.
14. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown.
15. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares.
16. Serve at room temperature.
17. This is an amazing snack that will travel well under any temperature, fit in your purse and give you the energy you need to enjoy an all day and night music festival!