Empire Is Back Tonight and This Is Why “Cookie” Should Have Written Girl Boss
If you’ve been sucked into the black hole that is binge watching the Empire series on Hulu, you know how addictive the, slightly misleading, show about the current hip-hop industry really is, and you’re without doubt counting down to it’s season 2 premiere tomorrow night. Whether you’ve watched one episode, or all twelve in one sitting, you know that Teraji P. Henson’s c, Emmy nominated role, the infamous “Cookie” is a Boss Bitch to be reckoned with. If she’s not a pure example of what being a women in the workplace looks like, it’s impossible to tell what is. Henson, or Cookie, demonstrates the necessary traits that a Girl Boss possesses, all whilst dodging bullets and menacing ex-husbands.
1. She’s not afraid to be alone. You’ll never see Cookie seeking out a man for their attention or affections. A man, or love, as great as it can be, is never a priority. As great as that perfect, or not so perfect, guy can be, he’s also a distraction. Her mind is strictly reserved for business, family, and remaining on top of her game at all times. Not even Prince Charming, or in Cookie’s case, a lying conniving ex-husband, can knock her off that.
2. She won’t take no for an answer. To a Girl Boss, there is no such thing is no. Everything can be done and there is always wiggle room if you really look for it. “No” means “Maybe” and “Maybe” means “Yes.” Simple mathematics.
3. She loves the gays. And all those who don’t have a voice because it has been smothered by the media, their childhood or other odds. Whether it’s her undervalued queer son or a drugged out, washed up singer played by Courtney Love, she will go to ends of the earth to make sure they are heard. If you know you’ve got your hands on the next Drake, you’re not going to hide him in a closet, are you? She stands for what she believes, even if it’s the underdog.
4. Even though she’s a tough cookie, she really does care. When it comes down to it, she’s a tough cookie with a soft heart and family always comes first. A true Girl Boss is selfless and looks out for her team. You can be a hard ass on the outside, but don’t lose sight of how far empathy and kindness can take you, even in a cut-throat industry.
5. She knows what’s rightfully hers and she’d not scared to take it. If you know what you’ve earned, speak up. The only way you will be heard is if you come in as a force to be reckoned with. I mean, seventeen years in prison under your belt doesn’t hurt when attempting world domination (channel that if necessary).
6. She’s got style to the nines and taste that makes her the best at what she does. The better you look, the better people think you are, just off first glance. Don’t think that being a girl and that always looking put together will push people into thinking you can’t be taken seriously, or that you’re just a “pretty” asset. You can be hot and quick-witted, and all the better to posess a double-sided weapon.
7. If she likes you, she’ll let you know. And if she doesn’t, don’t worry she’ll still let you know. If you showed up to your ex-husband’s ambush engagement announcement in your best lingerie, the best way to handle it is to flash it in the “friendliest” way possible to the entire dinner party. Don’t hide it under the fur, let him know what he’s missing.
8. She’ll call you on your bullshit, and on the spot. Women should never pit each other against one another, but in the case that the “bitch” term is thrown around carelessly, let her know it’s not going to go over well.