Your Beauty Must-Haves For Festival Season
If you’ve been to a music festival, you know the routine: enter the gates like a straight-out-of-Coachella poster child and leave as a disheveled, smelly post-apocalyptic zombie. Well, I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be like that. *cue sound of angels singing*
More often than not, festivals are about withstanding the elements. In a multi-day event, it’s rare for every day to have ideal weather. If by some miracle you come by that, you will still manage to find your way to be sardined between other concert-goers in the crowd and bask in each other’s steamy sweat. It’s a survival of the fittest, and only the most prepared attendees will make it through the heat, extreme humidity or a friend’s evaporating body fluid still looking (and smelling) awesome.
While getting ready for a fest, remember to not overdo your look, and only use what is going to withstand a full day of festival-ing. The trick with festival beauty is that less is more. This is NOT the place to rock your smoky eye (that’s what sunglasses are for), practice your contouring skills or experiment with a bold lip. I promise, you’ll regret overly ambitious makeup before the end of the first set you see.
That being said, simple makeup can still be fun and festive. In fact, you really only need about 10 items to fulfill an entire festival-beauty look. And even better, all of these products can be natural, organic and eco-friendly. Ah, yes. Your festival beauty must-haves, all available in a natural version (so your flower crown isn’t the only thing that’s letting you embrace your inner hippie).
1. Each morning, start off your makeup on a clean slate. Just as importantly, remember to clean your face after a day of makeup-melting, face-perspiring fun. Garner Clean+ Gentle Clarifying Cleansing Gel cuts through oil, removes makeup and cleanses your face all in one step. As tired as you are after the shows, your skin will love you the next day for delaying passing out by 30 seconds to wash your face.
2. Even though your hair will most likely be thrown into a ponytail by mid-day dancing, prep it with hairspray in the morning to prevent frizz. L.A. Hold Hair Spritz by Giovanni Organic Hair Care holds hair in place all day while adding shampoo-commercial-worthy shine.
3. Organic makeup absolutely doesn’t mean to sacrifice some gaudy festie fun. Body glitter is quintessential to raving to your favorite DJs and finishing off your look. Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques Body Glitters come in six sparkly colors, each made of natural mineral called mica.
4. Before beginning to apply your makeup, do not, I repeat, DO NOT skimp on makeup primer. Prime Time Foundation Primer by bareMinerals creates a smooth canvas for your foundation and causes it to last longer (yes, even withstanding some sweat).
5. Sure, day 1 will be a walk in the park, but surviving the lack of sleep and excess of physical exertion on days 2 and 3, while looking as good as the first, is a skilled talent. Fake sleep with GinZing by Origins. This refreshing eye cream reduces dark circles and de-puffs your under eyes with a swipe on the light, coffee bean and ginseng-infused formula. Look good, feel good my friends.
6. Grabbing a bite to eat in the midst of unintentionally dancing all up on fellow attendees and trips to the ever-horrifying port-o-potties beckons for your hands to be sterilized. But how do you do that sans running water and sinks? Herban Essentials essential oil towelettes are naturally antibacterial and antiseptic, and their single-use packets make it easy to pack a few in your bag.
7. For the sake of yourself and those around you, don’t forget to put on antiperspirant deodorant (and bring it with you to reapply!). Naturally Dry Antiperspirant Deodorant by Tom’s of Maine combats wetness with recycled mineral bauxite, while it keeps you smelling great with natural plant oils and olive leaves.
8. Who said eco-friendly nail polish had to be boring? Coat your nails in NCLA Nail Lacquers, which come in a variety of electric, technicolor and sparkly shades that are all vegan, non-toxin and free of chemicals.
9. Grooving in the sun all day makes sunscreen is a must when it comes to festivals. The Honest Company’s Sunscreen is made from a natural, plant-and-mineral-based formula. Don’t forget to reapply every couple of hours until the sun goes down. Sunburn could put a real damper on your weekend.
10. Colored eyeliner is an easy way to add a pop of color to your lids that you wouldn’t normally rock. INIKA’s Certified Organic Eye Liner comes in eight hues, ranging from classic neutrals to punchy colors like peacock blue, foamy green and a vivid purple. The long-lasting liners each have their own sharpeners attached to the lid, a perfect 2 in 1 to fit in your fanny pack.
This is part of a weekly eco-beauty series, where we curate the best natural, organic and eco-friendly beauty products for your life.