6 Songs From Childhood That Say It’s Okay To Be You
If Bruce Jenner can come out as a woman on national television, we have no excuse not to be ourselves, daily. It’s hard, and it’s scary—each rejection, failure, and regretful experience makes the concept of realizing our dreams seem impossible. Remember being a kid? We didn’t even know to be scared of being ourselves!
Now, remember dancing to songs that made you feel great as a kid? There was no better feeling.
As we enter our 20s, and as we start to to internalize more and more pressure from the outside world, it’s going to be important to take some moments and let our inner child remind us how to be ourselves. On the days that it becomes too hard, not to worry—Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and 50 Cent can come to the rescue, as they always have before.
1. Body shamers begone! Xtina’s “Beautiful” video is the anthem for anyone who is ready to be proud of themselves, inside and out.
2. I love this song forever. Don’t let anybody tell you how you should feel about yourself.
3. The queen says you have to believe, so get to believing!
4. No one knows the comeback better than Britney. If she can get up in the morning and genuinely feel stronger, so can you.
5. This song says it’s okay to be silly. Don’t forget to laugh at yourself, even when it feels impossible.
6. “If I can’t do it, it can’t be done” is an excellent motto. We should all adopt this.