10 Outfits Popstars Wore To Sing The National Anthem—Ranked From Most Boring To Most Fun
Ciara sang her rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner” at last night’s College Football Playoff game, but of course the Internet doesn’t care about that. Instead of being praised or judged for her voice, the popstar is being shamed for her wardrobe choice—a floor length gown (cape included) with a plunging neckline.
This all started when Bonnie Berstein, veteran sports journalist (and total SQUARE), decided to tell Ciara how to dress.
Dear Ciara. You’re stunning. But this is a National Championship Game. Kids are watching. Cover up.
— Bonnie Bernstein (@BonnieBernstein) January 12, 2016
Then, and because the world sucks, Fox Sports’ Jason Whitlock hopped on the Twitter shaming bandwagon.
I’m 100 percent serious. I’m not a prude. Love nudity. Not at national champ game. Inappropriate. https://t.co/LoTzEqBQQJ
— Jason Whitlock (@WhitlockJason) January 12, 2016
Wait, what? We thought that women could wear whatever they wanted to in glorious 2016!
Let us not forget what happened after Janet Jackson’s Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime controversy, a performance in which her exposed boob took broadcasting standards back lightyears. It’s hard to compare Ciara’s floor length gown to Janet Jackson’s bare boob, but we must.
The standard expectation that women should “cover up” is about as outdated as Blockbuster. If society deems it acceptable for women to breastfeed in public, shouldn’t a bit of classy cleavage be okay too? Not to mention, Ciara’s outfit appeared much more modest than the cheerleaders’ miniskirts (LOL).
Ciara, who is in a celibate relationship with NFL quarterback Russell Wilson, proudly posted this photo after her performance.
— Ciara (@ciara) January 12, 2016
You go girl! It’s about time a popstar brings some sexy spice to the often drab outfits worn by female musicians singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” at a sports event.
From Beyonce’s eggshell-colored pencil skirt to Whitney Houston’s matching tracksuit, here’s 10 outfits popstars have worn to sing the national anthem, ranked most boring to most fun.
1. Remember when Christina Aguilera flubbed the lyrics to the national anthem at the 2011 Super Bowl? Yeah well, her outfit is just as bad.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 100%
2. Beyonce’s knee-length skirt she wore for the 2004 Super Bowl looks like something a retired teacher would wear.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 95%
3. Ariana Grande’s jeans, stilettos, and jersey outfit for the 2014 NFL Kickoff in Seattle lacks total creativity.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 90%
4. Zooey Deschanel’s 2011 MLB World Series dress was made for a kindergartener. Show us some boobs!
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 85%
5. The blue spaghetti strap dress Mariah Carey wore at the Super Bowl back in 2002 is simply…BASIC!
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 75%
6. Demi Lovato’s 2015 MLB World Series outfit is for a grandma, but because it’s red leather, we are halfway okay with it.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 50%
7. Cher’s 1999 Super Bowl outfit makes her look younger than every person listed above, and she sparkles.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 40%
8. Fergie wore a mini dress at Miami’s Sunlife Stadium in 2011, and nobody told her to put her legs away!
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 10%
9. Ciara’s floor length gown worn at the College Football Playoff game is chic, but also a little too fancy.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 5%
10. The tracksuit Whitney Houston rocked for her 1991 Super Bowl performance might be the coolest outfit a woman has ever worn.
SNOOZE-FEST RATING: 0%